Saturday, September 15, 2012

Putting the Horse back in Front of the Cart..

After posting my last post, I readjusted by lesson plans narrowing the technology down to only Edmodo Bellringers.  Going forward, I'll plan the lesson based on curriculum and objectives and then decide where technology will support and strengthen the material, not visa-versa.

We had our first 1:1 Device Pilot meeting last Thursday evening at Mount Tabor (Katherine's school).  It really helped to listen to the other teachers voice how they felt there were behind teaching, how getting the technology up and running was a struggle.  Katherine hadn't gotten out her laptops since Day 1.  They praised her! - I was surprised, but because Common Core and Curriculum has got to take top priority, we're to integrate technology afterwards.

Several high points:  World Languages is doing a PBL - and even though I set out markers/paper/scissors etc.. in case they wanted to do their presentation the old fashioned way - they went right for the computers to create their presentation: Powerpoint, Glogster..

Finally, finally! I had one class that everyone got onto the internet and into Edmodo! - Day 14! (well, day 7 of A/B day).

The students have done a FANTASTIC job recording themselves and the Clear.msu dropbox is a superb app.  I can see it really being a great way to build their speaking confidence from the very beginning. I'm going to try to record questions for my 7th & 8th grade students to get them using their language.

My big job now is to get everything graded!  They gave us access to NCWise early last week.  I've set up my classes, but haven't posted any grades - that'll happen this weekend.

I think I might have finally gotten all of my permission forms back - or almost - that has been the absolute worst.  I'm not sure that could be cured, but if the District is actually going to roll out personal devices into 3700 teachers' classrooms, they'll have to find a remedy for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment